Meeting Minutes 12/7/17

Members Present: 9

E-Board Present: Mike, Zack, Matt, Todd

Meeting Start: 20:07

  • Welcome!
  • Card reader to HARC is broken
    • Reader has been acting funny in the past
    • Ticket has been submitted, should be quick
    • Call duty phone/public safety in the mean time
  • Bank trip went well
    • Accounts got reshuffled (people added and removed)
    • Get Don on account sometime
  • Tech Fund Update
    • Money has been moved from Tech Fund to another internal fund
    • Couple hundred more than what was in email
    • USG does charge a fee for storing…
    • We will be using it for a new repeater site
    • We should put together a proposal of what we are thinking of doing
    • What to do?
      • Ran some models in Radio Mobile
      • Herman looks best
      • Time to start talking to people
      • Let’s come up with a plan/proposal to present to the state
      • We will move forward with Herman tower
    • 6550 Batteries
      • Found some on E-Bay, aftermarket
      • Get two
      • No objections, they will be ordered
    • Exam on the 6th
      • BCRA is hosting

Meeting Adjourned: 21:21

Meeting Minutes 11/2/2017

Members Present: 9

E-Board Present: Mike, Zack, Matt, Todd

Meeting Start: 20:10

  • Welcome!
  • Renewed the domain for website, w8yy.org
    • Good for another year
  • Have like $602 in bank account
  • Tuner order
    • Need to do that
    • We can buy that
    • We should buy that
    • $349
  • Hope everyone had fun last weekend!
    • Thanks for attending the Negaunee trip!
  • Events
    • No events for now
    • Chris is happy
    • Copper dog is next big event
  • Need to go to CAFS!
  • Need to take Jack’s repeater to EOC
  • Need to fix the jack on the big trailer ASAP
  • Should get the snowshoes out of the thing and put them in big trailer
  • Where to put little trailer?
    • Talk to Husky Motors…maybe
  • Looking for people to go do harbor damage assessment, if there is any
  • What do we want to do next, trip wise?
    • Tower Site Proposal
      • Forest service tower is available in Kenton
      • North on Forrest Highway 16
        • Can use it if we find it…
      • January 1st 2018 State towers will become available for commercial use
      • Stay tuned
    • Will not have Tuesday meeting for SARTrack training
    • Will have a SSAR meeting on Wednesday
    • Waiting for State for 800 template
    • Active shooter exercise at Hospital on December 4th
      • We might be involved, but probably not
    • Todd has information
      • Moto Sales Executive Coming Up
      • Coming to Tech to roll out a Turbo system
      • He has been invited to talk with our group and he would like to
      • Will be headed this way later in the afternoon
      • Want to arrange a time after 5
      • 5:30
      • Location TBD
    • Two weekends left to get to CAFS
      • When do we want to go?
      • This weekend
      • Sunday at 10 AM
      • Dress warm, it’s always very cold inside the building

Meeting Adjourned: 20:51

Meeting Minutes 10/22/2017

Members Present: 9

E-Board Present: Mike, Zack, Mat

Meeting Start: 20:07

  • Welcome!
  • HARC is reregistered-we think
    • They didn’t say no so that’s good
  • We have our funding
    • Should think about how to use our funding
  • Tower Site Updates
    • Chris talked to Station Ranger in Kenton
    • Available tower site
    • Might be putting a new one on Silver Mountain in a few years-solar powered
    • She is retiring in 3 years, so we need to move before that
    • Teepee tower is an easier option for repeater site
  • LSPR in about a week
    • Let us know before next Wednesday if you need equipment
    • Chris got the HARC UHF from the EOC on VHF directional antenna
    • Duplexers on SSAR repeater might be bad
    • If anything else, we will run two net controls
    • Assignments will come next Thursday night
    • Test your equipment out soon!
      • Best is by Wednesday to correct any errors
    • Consider taking someone with you, but have them sign up online
  • Little SSAR trailer might have a bad tire/wheel
    • Bearings are good
    • Looking at a new tire tomorrow
  • Visit to Negaunee
    • Got ahold of MSP director and NWS
    • Both said great but need a secure date/time
    • NWS only available in morning and then do MSP after lunch
    • Leave 9 AM
    • Date: Sunday October 29th
    • Negaunee director is a HAM!
    • For those that carpool, we will figure that out
  • Jamboree On The Air
    • Next Weekend
    • At Don’s (W8PSP) House?
    • Boy Scout Field Day
    • Normally help after Rally
    • Should get in touch with Don
  • Budget Items
    • UHF capable antenna analyzer is on there
    • Would be nice to get
    • Old one is bad and can’t tune UHF
    • Have $450 allocated for it
    • About $450 for a decent one (MFJ type)
    • Motion to acquire one
      • Approved!
      • Check request will be initiated
    • Matt will order it and get reimbursed
  • Footswitch PTT is busted
    • Connector needs to be replaced and is irreparable

Meeting Adjourned: 20:38

Meeting Minutes 10/5/2017

Members Present: 9

E-Board Present: Mike, Todd, Zack, Matt

Meeting Start: 20:11

  • Welcome!
  • Org Reregistration
    • Due tomorrow
    • In HARC fashion, it will be done tomorrow!
  • USG Requests
    • Go after new tower site?
    • Existing tower maintenance
    • Talk later…
  • If you’re not on Involvement Link, Please Join!
    • We will not spam you!
  • Inventory Stuff
    • Items need Tags
  • DMR Net Round 1
    • Went well
    • Kory, KE8AVN, was Net Control
    • Tuesday Nights, 9PM, 9062
  • Last Exam
    • Went well
    • Everyone got licenses and Tyler got upgrade
    • Congratulations!
  • Next Exam
    • This Saturday
    • CCRAA Exam
    • 9AM Franklin Township Hall
  • CCRAA Meeting Last Tuesday
    • Have not yet got new repeater
    • Replace the 88
    • Don’t touch things that aren’t broken before Rally!
  • Playing with Rally stuff this weekend
    • Might be linking VHF to another analog UHF repeater
    • Will be an adventure!
    • Saturday afternoon we are going to try
  • Events
    • Rally
      • Sign up online
      • If you want to do a spot, just sign up
      • If you want something else, email Chris (logistics, backup, etc.)
      • Two weeks from tonight is registration
    • Color Tour
      • Went well
      • Very long day
      • Long sweep guy did radio exam next day, and passed!
      • Suspect they will ask us to help again
    • After rally, events are slowing down
    • Saturday after rally is treat street
      • Close down Sheldon and would like assistance
    • Treat street should be last planned event
      • Something might pop up
    • Tower newsletter is coming along
    • DMR Plus Link?
    • Slowly cleaning up the shack
    • Ski hill is using amateur equipment on Part 90 spectrum
    • See you next week!

Meeting Adjourned: 20:52

Meeting Minutes 9/28/2017

Members Present: 10

E-Board Present: Mike, Matt, Todd, Zack

Meeting Start: 20:03

  • Welcome!
  • Field Trips
    • Pick a day for Negaunee
      • Sometime in October
      • Sunday the 29th
      • Leaving in the morning, 9AM
      • Amount of people interested: 10 so far
      • Figure out rides as we get closer
    • Shack
      • Thanks to those that picked up the corner near the window
      • Fridge is pretty empty
        • Matt will be picking up more cases of pop
        • Cans need to get returned
        • Pop is 50 cents, honor system
        • Please place cans in the returnable bags
        • Coffee is 25 cents, if you want to try…
      • Events
        • Foxhunt
          • Antenna prototype constructed
            • 4 element Yagi
            • Took about 3 hours to make
          • C4 Color Tour
            • Think we are in pretty good shape
            • 95% finished with assignments
          • SET
            • This weekend
            • Got surprise assignment
            • Need to transmit a message to the state EOC via voice on HF at 9:45 AM
            • Has to be sent using an unfamiliar protocol
            • 932 MHz Primary or 7.232 MHz Backup or can relay it on 145.39 MHz
            • Or could use SW1 on DMR
            • Over voice only, not digital
            • If you feel like struggling, let Chris know!
          • LSPR
            • 3 Weeks (October 20-21)
            • If interested sign up online
            • If you want to be untraditionally assigned, let Chris know directly, still sign up online
            • May go testing in the next 2.5 weeks at Teepee tower and Herman Nestoria
              • If you want to drive in circles and talk on the radio, let Chris know.
            • Exams
              • Sunday October 1st in Fisher 326 at Noon
                • HARC Sponsored Exam
                • Need to take exam by this date to receive it for the Rally
              • Saturday October 7th at 8:00 AM at Franklin Township Hall
                • CCRAA Sponsored Exam
              • KCRA Meeting
                • October 11th
                • Gary’s House
              • DMR Net
                • Interest in doing it
                • Day and Time:
                  • Tuesday Night at 9 PM
                  • New Mexico Site Approves
                • Kory, KE8AVN, introduces himself from New Mexico over radio to the new members
                • The Tower Newsletter
                  • Get done sometime
                  • Shack renovation and Keweenaw Comms Project main topics
                • Need to plan a trip to CAFB before winter for maintenance
                  • Might be after Rally
                • Arcadian Tower
                  • Tuesday (9/26) some engineering firms performed a study
                  • It will be a while before the results are released
                  • All options are on the table

Meeting Adjourned: 20:57

Meeting Minutes 9/21/2017

Members Present: 12

E-Board Present: Mike, Zach, Todd, Matt

Meeting Start: 20:00

  • Welcome new members!
  • Introductions
  • Exam coming up
    • Sunday October 1st
    • Noonish, Fisher 326 Confirmed
    • Advertising?
      • Search and Rescue Facebook Page
      • Involvement Link
      • Shared on regional Facebook Page
      • Paid advertising on Facebook?
      • Pages on EDS on campus
      • Campus boards
    • Form for Field Trip Ideas
      • Made it
      • Did not email it…
      • In HARCDocs on Drive
      • Separated to Closer/Local stuff and Farther Stuff:
        • EOC
        • Coast Guard-Dollar Bay
        • Airport
        • Gratiot Lake AFB Tower Visit
        • Keweenaw County Jail
        • State Police Dispatch and Weather Service in Negaunee
          • Saturday after Rally?
        • Come up with some days and we will start scheduling
      • Events:
        • Highway Cleanup This Sunday 9/24
          • 10AM at McClain
        • Saturday 9/30 Color Tour
          • Need another 6-8!
          • Even if you are available only part of the day
        • LSPR
          • October 20th-21st
          • 14 operators for Friday and Saturday
          • Friday night a little shorter than previous years
            • Only 5 stages on Friday night
            • Probably done around Midnight
          • Saturday
            • Only 5 Stages
            • Downtown about twice as long as last year
          • Need to do about two more tests
            • Do that on 7th or 8th
            • Help would be nice if you have DMR
          • Need a mobile
          • Mobiles are available
        • Treat Street
          • Saturday October 28th
        • If you haven’t payed and want shack access pay Zack and make sure Mike is around to write your name down
          • Dues are $10
          • If anything is wrong, let eboard know
          • Don’t do anything you aren’t licensed to do, please
        • Power distribution
          • 1 A fuses are going at an alarming rate

Meeting Adjourned: 20:35

Meeting Minutes 9/14/2017

Members Present: 8

E-Board Present: Mike, Matt, Todd, Zack

Meeting Start: 20:05

  • K-Day went well
  • Events:
    • Parade of nations Saturday
      • All positions covered
    • C4 Color Tour
      • Need more people
      • Saturday September 30th
    • Simulated Emergency Set
      • Saturday September 30th
      • Same day as Color Tour
      • Digital is being used (DStar and Mi5 Event 2)
    • SSAR Land Navigation
      • Monday 9/18
      • Tech Trails, 7PM
    • SSAR Track 1 Training
      • Tuesday 9/19
      • Laurium EOC 9/20
    • Next Exam: Sunday October 1st at Noon in Fisher Somewhere
    • CCRAA Exam: Sunday October 7th
    • Activities:
      • Antenna building-been busy, no update
      • Google form for the field trips, email to list

Meeting Adjourned: 20:31

Meeting Minutes 9/7/2017

Members Present: 14

E-Board Present: Mike, Todd, Zack, Matt

Meeting Start: 20:01

  • Welcome back!
  • Dues: $10/year
    • Get money to Zack, make sure Mike, secretary, records your name
    • Dues get access to shack and equipment check out
  • Be mindful of how long you have checked out equipment out
  • Upcoming Events:
    • K-Day (9/8)-Tomorrow!
      • Hang out around the table.
      • HF not so great, maybe VHF and portable linked DMR set up
    • Saturday: Copper Country Cycling
      • Mostly full but can always use more people
      • Meet in Copper Harbor
    • Monday: SSAR New Member Meeting
      • Fisher 135, 7PM
    • Wednesday: General SSAR Meeting
      • Twin Lakes Fire Hall
      • 7 PM
      • Email SSAR list for ride
    • Saturday 9/16: Parade of Nations
      • Need more people
      • Start at 11, end at 1?
    • More to come…!
    • LSPR Registration is Open
  • Exam Session
    • Interested?
    • Think about dates
    • 22nd-23rd weekend may be open
    • CCRAA has an exam October 7th
  • Trail cleanup is this weekend
    • 2 seats open
    • Contact Jack
  • Group Events:
    • Ideas?
      • Introductions
      • Foxhunt
        • Come next week if you want to do the build and hunt
      • Make/build radio things
        • Tape Measure Beams
        • Attenuator
      • Field Trip to:
        • EOC
        • Donken Tower Site
        • Marquette Dispatch
        • CAFB Tower Site
        • National Weather Service in Marquette
        • Coast Guard Stations
        • Airport-CMX
      • Weekly net on DMR?
    • DMR Plus Link?

Meeting Adjourned: 21:11

Meeting Minutes for 9/1/2016

Attendance

  • Matt M
  • Todd
  • Logan
  • Elijah
  • Matt Z
  • Alec
  • Chris
  • Brian
  • Jack
  • Mike

 

Meeting

  • Aerospace presentation
  • Welcome back
  • Many events coming up
  • We need to pick a treasurer sometime
  • Dues $5 – Take care of later
  • Shack renovation is completing
    • Maybe a week or more
    • Analog repeater is currently down
    • Make sure to keep it clean for showing
  • Email list is on google groups
  • W8YY is up for renewal soon
    • Attention Evan
  • Re Registration is coming up
  • New repeater coordinator
  • Remember to ask for $5 for coordination
  • DMR monitoring talk
  • Jack wants Assistant Emergency Managers for Baraga Co
    • Talk with Jack
  • Keweenaw Communications
    • New site at Calumet Air Force Station
    • Started ordering process
    • Checking coordination
    • May visit site soon
    • Goal is to be online for rally
  • VHF may move south either for groomers or Baraga Co
  • Events
    • 5 events 4 weeks
    • Copper Harbor Trails Festival
    • Breakers to Bridge
    • Parade of Nations
    • C4 Bike Race
    • Color Tour
  • Test trailer repeater with drivers
    • Test VHF DMR as well
  • SSAR meeting next week
  • Grooming meeting 5:30 in Greenland
  • CCRAA meeting Tuse

Special Meeting 4/28/16

Attendance

  • Todd
  • Kory
  • Logan
  • Jack
  • Charlie
  • Matt M
  • Matt Z

 

Meeting

  • Met with Travis
  • On Tus. got an e-mail
    • We were locked out for installing an unauthorized reader and destruction of university property.
  • Conver    sation got from IT to Travis
  • They came up, saw ours and thought it was recent
  • Housing will be buying a new readr from IT
    • Maybe two weeks from now
    • Managed by housing through Adam
  • Follow up email sent to original recipients by Travis
  • 24/7 access to the room
  • They will issue cards for community members
  • An officer can request change to access
  • Meeting tomorrow at 9 with Travis with a list of what we want
  • We will have to pay to repair the hole
    • What they determine
  • We will have to move things sometime